How can I improve my MCAT strategy?Asked by: Prof. Terry Gaylord II | Last update: May 23, 2022
Score: 5/5 (68 votes)
- Understand what makes the MCAT fundamentally different from pre-med exams.
- Know how to analyze MCAT questions.
- Effectively evaluate your study resources.
- Be able to create an effective study schedule.
- Know which high-yield topics you'll need to cover.
What is the best way to increase MCAT score?
If you seriously want to increase your MCAT score by 10 points or more within 30 days, one of the best things you could do is to go hard on full length, timed practice exams. This will not only train your stamina, but will also train yourself in being able to actually apply the material you have been studying.
Is it possible to improve your MCAT score?
The AAMC recommends that students spend 300-350 hours total studying for the MCAT. One of the things you can do to raise your score may simply be devoting more hours to review and prep, especially if you know you didn't spend the full recommended hours studying for your first attempt.
How long should you study for the MCAT?
So, where should you start? Most people need 10–15 hours per week to study for the MCAT over a period of at least four to six months . In total, you should aim for at least 200 to 300 hours of MCAT study time.
How do I ace my car for the MCAT?
- DO remember that each passage is telling you a story. Many students approach this section defensively. ...
- DON'T skip around. ...
- DO keep track of your time. ...
- DON'T think that you can't improve your CARS score. ...
- DO read for pleasure to prepare for the CARS section.
MCAT 480 to a 518: 5minute Strategy Fixes, C/P Timing and AAMC Psychology
Can I study for the MCAT in 2 weeks?
It's possible, but 2 weeks won't improve your scores much (if at all). If you have all the notes and just need to review them, why are you starting so late.
What is the lowest MCAT score you can get?
Your correct answers in each section are converted to a scaled score ranging from 118 (lowest possible score) to 132 (highest possible score). The scores for all four sections are added together. This means that the lowest possible MCAT score you can get is 472 and the highest is 528.
How can I raise my MCAT score in 2 weeks?
Improving your MCAT score within two weeks
You should take up to three full-length MCAT exams (with two or three days in between). But do not take a practice exam right before the real MCAT. Save some brainpower to increase your performance. Avoid content review activities because that's of no help at this point.
Is it hard to get a 510 on the MCAT?
508-510 are all fine, and if you don't get accepted with a score in that range, it's not because of your MCAT score. Anything that's 510 and above will help you. This is going to discourage a lot of people because they may only be getting a 504 or 505.
Is an MCAT score of 508 good?
A 508 is a decent score.
According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, this score puts you in the 74 percentile for the 2019 and 2020 academic year.
Is 492 a good MCAT score?
Attaining a score of 492 on the MCAT means you performed in the 26% percentile. An even distribution for the section scores is preferred.
Which MCAT book is the best?
- The Princeton Review MCAT Subject Review Complete Box Set.
- Kaplan MCAT Complete 7-Book Subject Review (2022-2023 Edition)
- Kaplan MCAT Self-Study Toolkit (2022-2023 Edition)
- Mometrix MCAT Prep Books.
- Kaplan MCAT 528 Advanced Prep.
- MCAT Verbal Practice: 108 Passages for the New CARS Section.
How do I prepare for the MCAT?
- Gauge your performance by taking a free online practice test. ...
- Let your baseline guide your content review. ...
- Grab a copy of the AAMC outline of topics that will be on the exam . ...
- Consider taking a prep course to keep you on track. ...
- Practice, practice, practice.
How do freshmen prepare for the MCAT?
- Get as many A+'s as you can. ...
- Start studying for the MCAT the summer before you enter college. ...
- Take double the number of courses (so, eight each quarter or semester) so that you can graduate early. ...
- Don't make friends. ...
- Don't have any fun in college.
Is Psych Soc easy on MCAT?
You've made it through the previous three sections, and you're on the home stretch. Unfortunately, many students become complacent during this section and finish very quickly. It's important to remember, though, that the psych/soc section of your MCAT makes up 1/4th of your overall score!
Do I need to take psychology for MCAT?
Psychology and Sociology are both helpful courses to take for the MCAT, but are not necessary. There are plenty of students who take the MCAT without taking either class who do well on the Psych/Soc section. This is because Psychology and Sociology are subjects that are fairly easy to self-study.
Is 479 a good MCAT score?
The answer depends on several factors including what type of medical school (MD vs DO vs Canadian) you're interested in, and most importantly, your individual section scores. Attaining a score of 479 on the MCAT means you performed in the 2% percentile. An even distribution for the section scores is preferred.
How many MCAT questions can I miss?
The truth about MCAT scoring is that missing six questions could equate to a score of 131 or it could be a 125, depending on the test difficulty.